Monday, May 08, 2006

Stressful Weekend

Warning: Long Blog. Read At Your Own Risk

Man, oh man, what a stressful weekend. So, it all began Friday night when I had to drive up to Red Deer to write a multiple choice exam for my EMR provincial certification. So far, so good. The drive up is pretty nice and relaxing. Exam is scheduled to start at 6 and end at 8, and registrations open at 5. So, I head out of Calgary at 3:30 and get in line with about 500 other people by 5:15. I end up standing in line till quarter till 7... and don't get to write my exam till 7! An hour later than the scheduled start time. Okay, that's not that bad, but you really start to psych yourself up when you're standing around waiting for an exam to start, haha. And what some of my classmates and I have discovered is that SAIT does not prepare you all too well for the ACP (Alberta College of Paramedics) exams. Sigh... so I hope I passed the written portion of the exam. But, I finish my exam at 8:30 and got back to Calgary around 10, cause I figured the extra trip would cost about $30 in gas and hotel for a night would be about $80.

The next day, Saturday, I have to go back up to Red Deer for my practical exam which is scheduled to begin at 2:30. So, I leave Calgary at 12:30 and get in line with about 150 other people at 2:00 and end up sitting out in the hallway waiting for REGISTRATIONS to open because the 1:00 group was running behind schedule. We end up waiting till 3:15 for registrations to open. After that, we all get set up in a waiting room where we all get called out one at a time to get tested. I wait till 6:00 for my turn. And I blew it, haha. Oh man, that 4 hour wait really psyched me out. I over-analyzed the entire scenario! I mean, it was a simple unconcious, choking patient. Sound simple? Well, it was. So simple that when you look at it, it's really a First Aid scenario. BUT, I was in EMR mode, so I figured I should do chest compressions, but WAIT, he still has a pulse, which means that his heart is still beating, which means that I can't do CPR, and chest compressions is within CPR!! So, I decide not to do chest compressions. Well, suffice to say... I can't clear my patients airway any other way and I decide to do a rapid transport to the hospital, but regardless, the patient dies, haha. and I fail. The sad thing is... I KNEW I failed, but I still had to wait another hour in a sequester room to wait for them to tell me I failed!! haha... man... you get really depressed when you have that much time afterwards to think about what you did and what you could have done before they tell you how you did. I woke up at least 4-5 times that night thinking about what I did wrong and what I should have done. I killed a PLASTIC DUMMY and I was this stressed out! Man, I need to get stronger mentally, cause what happens when I can't save an actual person?? It better not be out of incompetence!! At least I'll have a partner with me at all times.

So, retest is scheduled for Sunday at 1:30. So, I end up not going to church cause I left Calgary at 11. Which meant I had to ask Tony to usher for me as I couldn't replace Andrew as usher anymore. :P I don't think he prayed hard enough, haha. But yeah, I end up getting there at 1:00 and stand in line with about 200 other people. Registration starts early for once at 1:15 and we get set up in the waiting room by 1:30. Looking good so far, way ahead of schedule this time. But nope, I end up sitting in the waiting room till 6:00 again for my turn. Man, another 5 hours sitting around thinking about what type of scenario you might get and what you need to do and how you should do it and at what order you should do it in!! So psyched out!! And the scenario for the retest?? Patient is having a stroke. Simple. It is, really. Administer high-concentration oxygen by Non-Rebreather Mask at 15l/m, do a quick primary survey and gather history. Package and Transport. Simple. HOWEVER, the patient decides to have a seizure en-route to the hospital. AND THEN decides to code on me (go into cardiac arrest)! So, now I have to get my partner to pull the ambulance over and come back to assist me with the patient (luckily, somehow, we end up in front of a firehall and firefighters come out to assist as well. :P). He is now pulseless, so we have to do CPR and defib him. He comes back to life, but by now we've had to size and insert an OPA (oropharhyngeal airway) changed the NRM to a BVM (Bag-Valve Mask) with assisted ventilations at 20bpm (1 breath every 3 seconds) moved him from a semi-fowlers (sitting-up) position into a supine (lying flat on back) position. Man, the retest was so much more complicated than the initial scenario!! And I passed, haha, but I had to wait another hour afterwards stressing about what I might have missed or what I might have done wrong!

Man. Going into this profession, I was afraid of getting a patient that was too complicated to handle and because it was so complicated that I couldn't save them. BUT, it ends up that the patient was TOO simple for me to even save him!! Sigh... I need to be more confident when I go into situations. But SAIT sure doesn't prepare you enough for real life or even ACP exams!! Anyways, that was my weekend!! Who actually ended up reading this far? Without just skipping to the very bottom to read this paragraph to see if I sumarize the entire blog? But, here's the summary. Long Weekend. Too Much Time Waiting For Exams To Begin. Psyched Out. Stressed Out. Failed First Scenario Which Is 100% Easier Than Retest Scenario. Passed Retest Scenario. Now Waiting For Written Results. 6 Hours Driving In One Weekend Is Crazy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing too:P

Anonymous said...

i will be back later...
...to read the whole thing...

Anonymous said...

haven't read the whole thing...but maybe I will be back...depends if Jen comes back... :P

Anonymous said...

WOW that was long...

Anonymous said...

ok...

ill admit it...

i still havent read it all yet

i just go straight to the comments:p

Anonymous said...

That's the problem of having the comments at the top of the blog. :P Nobody even bothers scrolling down, haha. But that's fine... this blog is more or less for my own recoreds of what happened in my life at this point than anything.

However, for those of you who have NEVER read to the end... or even skipped to the final paragraph. I'll let you in on a secret. I put in a short summary of the entire blog at the end. :P

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's was a great secret you let them in on. :)

Anonymous said...

There was this job posting I found for the Industrial Paramedic Services, if they hired me, I would hire you. :)