New Year Resolutions?? I don't think I really came up with any specifically... but I know what I WANT this year.
1) Change my mindset. I really need to get into a proper mindset for paramedics. I need to get away from this Monday-Friday, 8-5 mentality. Also, I need to find a way to get past my irrational fear of needles and sharp objects... especially when they are in my hands. Ever since I stabbed myself in my thumb... I get so freaked out when holding anything sharp... but I need to get past it becuase I need to do IVs. And before you all freak out, I CAN DO IVs PROPERLY. Just when it comes to doing live starts (on an actual person) I start to overthink everything and get really scared and I even avoided doing a live-start during a scenario and my instructor was not happy... and neither was I. I was so disappointed by myself and my confidence level just crashed when I turned down that live-start... and I REALLY need to get past this mindset. Sometimes, I NEED to cause pain to others in order to help them. I CAN, and I WILL do this.
2) Work Out. One of my friends in class weighs about 200lbs and just trying to move him around on a stretcher was difficult. I could do it, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. So, I need to get stronger. I need to get fitter. Going with resolution number 1: I will be going to school to use the gym this semester, but because it's usually busy during the day, I will go during the night. So, getting past this 8-5 mindset, I'll start doing things I normally wouldn't do during the evening (like go to the gym or go to school for studying or tutoring).
3) Play Bass by Camp. Really starting to lean towards taking lessons. If anybody knows someplace good and not expensive... let me know. Or if somebody knows someone who can teach more towards playing Bass for Worship, let me know. lol... I think this was one of my resolutions last year as well. :P Sure didn't work out. Maybe this year. :P
Some other things I've been thinking about include... After I graduate from EMT. I have 3 choices.
1) Work for a year or so (probably with the City as a Basic Life Support Provider).
2) Take the paramedic program through SAITs day program (5 days a week, 8 hours a day) which starts in September (which makes it a lot more difficult to get into considering interviews for that program start NOW and I do not have the proper prerequisites yet as I'm in the EMT course still).
3) Take the paramedic program through SAITs outreach program (1 week on, 1 week off) which starts next January (but is not government funded so is double the tuition of the day program). I'm leaning towards this one right now.
Another thing: I want to get contacts. I'm so used to glasses and I don't mind them. But the safety goggles that I have currently that go over my glasses are UGLY! And the fact that glasses as a paramedic can become somewhat of a hindrance. So, I'm going to test out contacts. See how they work out for me. I know that my eyes are dry and that I probably can't wear them an entire day... but if they work enough for me to wear for a shift... then they'll be worth it.
4 comments:
I would suggest to apply for regular paramedic day program that starts in Sept. If not accepted, work for a year to have hands-on experience and apply for next Sept courses. I would not rush into out-reach program, because not seeing the benefit of paying extra money.
Having hands-on experience also helps you to fight your fear of live-start.
Well, the thing with the fear is. It will be over, or NEEDS to be over, in order for me to pass this course. And it WILL be over by mid-march no matter what because of my clinical practicum where I will be doing live-starts everyday at Rockyview Hospital day surgery for the entire week.
As for hands-on experience. I also have an ambulance practicum sometime after april where I have to log over 140 hours.
Out-Reach is more money because it's not government funded, but its pretty much the exact course as the day program (same duration, same instructors) just different teaching format. More meat and potatoes than the theory based day program. Kinda like University Nursing (more theory based) compared to Mount Royal Nursing (more application based).
It's hard to get your mind out of the 8-5 mentality. I hate doing anything useful when new TV shows are on!!! :)
I made a new year's resolution thingy too=).
Post a Comment