WARNING: LONG POST
So, it appears that most of us at church (at least the guys for sure) are all working towards becoming either healthier or stronger or both. It's great to see everyone trying so hard to improve their lifestyles and to have everyone work towards a similar goal at the same time will only help to keep us all on track and hopefully we'll all reach our goals!!
My goals... cannot be categorized into numbers lost or gained but just an overall healthier lifestyle and an improvement in overall strength. Perhaps that is why I have procastinated from doing so for such a long time because it lacks a concrete goal... but I find that there is no clear-cut end result that I wish. Therefore, I will try to work under a schedule that will focus on gaining new habits for a healthier lifestyle instead of aiming for a number loss/gain. Thus, my objective/schedule will be:
1) DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Water is a liquid that I have detested all my life and have only been able to force myself to drink while exercising in abundance (ex. Playing Hockey Friday nights or working out at the gym at UofA) or during meals at a restaurant. However, water is a necessity and it also means I will be drinking less of everything else. It will also help to cleanse my system of junk. We're supposed to drink up to 8 cups of water a day... and I would have been lucky to have drank 1 cup of water a day before, so time for a change. As I write this, I have just finished a bottle of water... so that is 2 cups right there. :P
2A) EAT LESS MEAT! Meat is... something I just LOVE (possibly an understatement right there) and it will be tough to stop eating it in large quantities, but it is something that needs to be done. This also means more veggies... possibly even, dare I say it, ordering salads when we go out for food!! ACK!!
2B) COOK HEALTHIER! Since my parents are rarely home these days and I am providing my own food for the majority of days... I need to stop with the bbq and start up with the healthy cooking. Which means... time to learn how to cook. I find that I cooked healthier when I was at UofA (but that might be because I bought my own groceries as well...) whereas now I am just cooking with whatever I find at home which is usually not a recipe for healthiness.
3) REGULAR EXERCISE! Something I have lacked since gym class was no longer mandatory! Actually, probably since elementary school as I stayed clear of most sporting activities in Junior High and thereafter. Relying on Hockey every Friday night during fall/winter and relying on sports/rollerblading every Sunday afternoon during spring/summer will not suffice at all. Therefore, I will now utilize the treadmill that sits in our basement gathering dust for ages to come. I will aim to use it at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 40 min. per time (hopefully, perhaps even once a day for a minimum of an hour).
4) STRENGTH TRAINING! Something I probably DON'T need to become healthier but it will benefit my health either way. More muscle, less fat = healthier... I think. Also, more strength = better suited for an occupation as a paramedic! So, time to utilize my bench and weights and possibly even hit the SAIT gym once school starts since I'm paying for it now, lol. Benefits of being back in full-time study!!
5) SLEEP LESS! Okay... I admit... I sleep a TON... and I think I'm making it worse on myself by sleeping so much. It's a vicious cycle that I need to break out of. I sleep a lot... and then I lose sleep because I'm having difficulties falling asleep at night or staying asleep during the night and then I end up being tired in the morning and wish to sleep more... bad habit that I have had since I went to UofA. So... time to work on a sleep schedule. I won't plan on sleeping at a certain time every night or anything like that... but I will make sure that I do not sleep for more than 10 hours ever again and that if I CAN go to sleep earlier then I should instead of staying up till late night doing not so important things like chatting or playing games or watching movies.
6) IMPROVE MY MENTAL CAPACITY! I have poisoned my own brain with useless junk for so many years that I find I have started losing track of who I am. My memory is horrible, my intellect level has fallen drastically and I think even my personality has taken a hit from it. I need to limit the game playing, sleeping, watching TV/movies, etc... and start focusing more on using my mind on such things as studying and doing things that will stimulate my brain such as keeping up with current events or something... any ideas here to help me stimulate my mind better?
7) IMPROVE MY SPIRITUAL WALK! Last, but DEFINITELY not the least is that I need to get out of my downward spiral and find my feet and keep my eye on Jesus once again. I find that I have not been doing devotions as often anymore and have been praying less these days than ever. Can't wait for cell group to start up again: I find that I am lacking lately... though I know that a cell group is to supplement my own spiritual growth and not to maintain it but it definitely helps.
Okay... I think those are my main objectives for this next year, lol. None of them have a end result that will prove that I have reached my objective. BUT I should be able to tell whether or not I have improved or not for all of them.
6 comments:
I'll help ya out whenever I can... I'll even call you in the morning to make sure you don't sleep too much! I guess the healthy cooking may affect the "steak" lunches/dinners/snacks, eh? Good luck, bro...
You better do it if you say you're going to do that haha...what accontability!!! :)
I'll call you in the morning to wake you up too....how does 5:00am sound??
mmm... thats quite a bit to tackle. im with kingston... you better do it!
good luck:P Now that you posted a blog about it...it's hard not to go through with it...you have too many witnesses!!!:P
The tough part is... with being sick so often as of late that even having these conditions... it's tough to start cause mentally and physically I'm just drained from fighting this sickness.
Post a Comment