Thursday, September 24, 2009

Minding the Tongue

I've started to notice a lot of things I say. And they aren't always good. They never have been. I think a lot of it started because I felt I needed to say something to fit in. That not saying anything made me feel separate from the group. And it got to a point where I no longer cared what my words did. Cause it became a way of life. People began to expect it. It was who I was. There was a point where I tried to stop saying things... but people would just automatically say things "for me". And even then... even when I didn't say anything... or wasn't even there... people would still believe I did. So, I stopped trying. Why bother when people are going to credit it to you even if you don't say it?? Why not just do it then and get it over with?

BUT... that's the easy way out. And this is a habit that needs to be broken. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" -Ephesians 4:29. To break this habit, I don't think I can revert back to the old steps I've tried; of just biting my tongue. Biting my tongue is a short-term solution, but that is all it is. I may be able to stop myself every so often. But it does not stop my mind from thinking it. And that is where it all boils down to. Like the song by Skillet - Monster... I feel like a monster.
It must be contained.
It needs to be tamed.
It will be tough, but must be done.
Not on my own, but through the Son. =P

No comments: